The Gambellara winery, the first cooperative winery in the Province of Vicenza, was formed in 1947 on the roots of a previous cooperative, Enopolio di Gambellara, which had started operating in faraway 1920. Enopolio stood for and evolved into Monopolio, a word that emphasises its monopoly over the Gambellara DOC denomination in this area but that is also the name of the brand new selection that contains little treasures: Garganega, an indigenous vine in all its forms and nuances, from the still, complex Gambellara Classico to sweet Garganega, made from grapes on strings (picai) hanging from rafters, which turn into Recioto and Vin Santo di Gambellara DOC, a denomination to whose creation the Cantina di Gambellara contributed. Gambellara is a land of basalt, dark rock and an extinct volcano that have characterised the area and bestow an aromatic elegance on its wines.
This winery was formed in 1955 by 33 passionate founder members headed by Tullio Pranovi, the first Chairman of what was then a cooperative and the leading founder member, to whom a Prosecco DOC Millesimato was recently dedicated in order to commemorate him and stress the importance that the spumante tradition has always had in this firm.
Spumante, but not only: the generous lands of the Vicenza hills have also encouraged growers to create great red wines such as Carlo V, made by drying grapes from international vines (Merlot and Cabernet), a wine that has already received numerous Italian and global awards.
Its mainly varietal wines but also its blended international and indigenous vines have enabled this firm to take a prominent place in the Italian and world catering market owing to its exceptional quality to price ratio, the completeness of its range and its extraordinary flexibility and service.
CASTELNUOVO DEL GARDA
Ever since its foundation in April 1958, the “Cantina Sociale Veronese del Garda” has committed itself unremittingly to gradual and constant growth starting from 11 founder members and a few acres of land. The winery’s firms area covers the hilly area located in the south-east of Lake Garda; most of the vineyards are in denomination of controlled origin areas of such as Bardolino, Custoza, Lugana and Bardolino Superiore DOCG.
The soil composition here is of morainic origin, with largest particles and with a rich texture that boasts minerality. The Cantina di Castelnuovo del Garda is located in a historical landscape that has always attracted visitors from all over the world owing to its proximity to both the lake and Verona, the city of love.
Even if this, the smallest winemaking cooperative in Veneto, is relatively young, it shows a considerable degree of attachment to its origins, having a wonderful museum of rural life on its premises. Below the Pedemontana, a high-speed road at the foot of the hills, in a particularly beautiful valley whose inhabitants have been striving harder and harder in recent times to promote their local products, such as Asiago cheese and Durello wine, this winery has a deep sense of its vocation to cherish its natural surroundings. It was to this small corner of the world, therefore, that an important mission was entrusted when it was merged into an enterprise that afterwards turned into Cantine Vitevis: to become a firm entirely devoted to organic farming. The new logo LXI, in fact, stands for this close link to nature and its colours (the blue of the waters, the green of the valley and the brown of the soil) and at the same time stands for the Roman version of the number 61, the year of the foundation of the winery and the number of the winegrower founder members, sixty one in all, who tend the Valleogra winery and its wines day after day.